Monday, February 27, 2012

Cheddar Cream Soup with Soft Pretzels

This recipe is a new one for us at our home this winter but we really love it!  If you're apprehensive about making a cheese soup, don't be.  This soup is not your typical thick, cheese fondue kind of soup, not that that's a bad thing!  You know how we like our fondue around here.  The addition of a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper gives it a little heat, perfect for these last cold winter days.


I had never attempted to make pretzels before, but using Alton Brown's recipe was simple and easy to follow.  This winter I've also come to love making my own fresh bread, rolls, and buns.  I used to be intimidated by yeast, but no more of that nonsense!  Now I can bake bread like I'm Ma Ingalls or something.  You know, this lady.

Image found via http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog
Did anyone else watch this show religiously or was it just me and my sisters?










Here is the recipe for the soup.  I hope you try it!  Please let me know if you do!

Cheddar Cream Soup*
serves: 6  total time:  40 minutes

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups half and half (or whole milk, if you so choose)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
12 ounces sharp Cheddar Cheese (you may use yellow or white)
Salt, to taste
Optional:  green onions or chives, to garnish

Heat butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.  When hot, add the onion and saute' until softened.  Add the garlic and saute' for one minute more.  Sprinkle flour on top of the onion, butter mixture and stir for two minutes.  Whisk in the chicken stock and half and half and bring the mixture to a simmer.

Add the cayenne pepper and wine until well incorporated.  A little at a time, add the cheese into the soup and after each addition, stir until smooth.  Taste soup and season with salt, if needed.  The cheese may make it salty enough.  

Serve hot and garnish with green onions or chives.

*This recipe was adapted from Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom

1 comment:

  1. Soup looks great. I am one of thosewho fear yeast. I have had good and bad times with it. So I say - my hats off to you for the pretzels.

    Little House - one of my favorites. I even enjoy it when I can find a rerun.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete