Monday, February 13, 2012

A Weekend Long Valentine Celebration

We decided to celebrate Valentine's Day a little early this year and make it a weekend long celebration.  This pretty much just means that Jason wanted to eat good meals all weekend long and I was happy to oblige!  We had been wanting to try some French recipes, so that became our unofficial theme for the weekend.




Sadly, the boys came down with colds.  Croupy coughs, sore throats, and fevers kept them quiet and still on the couch.  Juice with crazy straws, cozy blankets, and movies helped them feel a little better.  I missed my happy, energetic little boys!




On Saturday, I made Coq au Vin for the first time and will definitely make it again.  Anything cooked in almost a bottle of wine is amazing!






For dessert, we had Ina's white chocolate sauce with frozen berries.






We kept the boys home from church on Sunday morning and were planning on recreating our anniversary meal we had two summers ago for dinner.  The boys were running fevers and were pretty sad the entire day.  We decided to make them their own dinner and cook our dinner later in case they were cranky, as sick little boys deserve to be.  They loved pretending to eat at a restaurant and having mom and dad wait on them.










They were ready for bed by seven and we set to work making supper.  I love having Jason in the kitchen with me.




Yes, we had mashed potatoes two days in a row.  Don't worry about it.


For dessert we had a chocolate buttermilk cake with a vanilla custard filling and chocolate buttercream frosting.







We had a wonderful "Valentine's Day" and hope you do too!  Also, I don't think I'll eat for the rest of the week.

3 comments:

  1. Aww sorry to hear that my Henry and Ollie were sick all weekend. It looks like you all had a wonderful weekend despite. Hope they are feeling better soon. Love you!
    PS- Happy Valentine's Day to you my dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay! I will be right over! Now what on earth were those dinners because I need some!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete