Monday, July 16, 2012

A Denim Picnic Blanket

In my continuing effort to learn more about my sewing machine and sewing in general, I decided to make a picnic blanket.  It seemed like another easy project that would come in handy during these summer months.  I had pinned a denim one on Pinterest awhile back that I couldn't stop thinking about.  The finished product actually looks nothing like the one I pinned, probably because I was making things up as I went along.  I guess you could say I was sewing by the seat of my pants.


This is what I did, should you desire to make one of your own.  I will warn you though, I am still learning!  In other words, I have no idea what I'm doing.  Let's move on, shall we?  

I purchased two different colors of denim fabric:  gray and blue.  Both were cut to the same length, about 2 1/2 yards.  I began by putting both wrong sides of my fabric together.  I then folded them over about a half inch and pinned and sewed them together.



To create a blue border around the gray fabric, I folded the fabric over again, about an inch this time.  I pinned and sewed this together as well.  To create four neat corners, I trimmed the excess fabric.  This prevented the corners from being too thick to run through the sewing machine.  I then folded the remaining fabric over and sewed it together.



After fixing a few messy stitches and trimming the excess thread, the picnic blanket was done.







Who's ready for a picnic?  Maybe if this heat and humidity ever go away...

I'm linking up to:



2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your sewing skills. Probably because all I can do is sew on a button.

    Love this !!! Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Denim is perfect for a picnic blanket. Yours turned out so pretty.

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete