Friday, January 18, 2013

A Failed Project and Other Friday Ramblings


Have you ever been inspired by something or thought of a project in your head, saw it out to completion, and have it turn out nothing like you wanted it to?  This was that project for me.  I had been inspired by wire sculpture letters in a magazine a couple of months ago.  In the picture, there was a gallery wall that had the initials of a couple with the word "and" framed in between them. 

I decided I liked the idea enough to try to make it myself.  After all, the project sounded easy in my head.  My husband had the copper wire and wire cutters.  The only thing left was my ability to carry it out, which is always easier said than done, right?  As it turns out, I am no artist when it comes to wire sculpture.  The wire isn't straight where it should be straight, my joints are messy, and neither initial can stand on its own very well.  As my sweet mother-in-law would say, they're both a little "kiddywampus".  If you look veeeeeery closely, you can see some tape holding up the letter J.  I refuse to give up on them though.  That letter J will stand up on its own and the L will be straight.

The framed "&" is simply corrugated cardboard that I cut out and covered with decoupage glue in order to make it smooth and shiny.  I wanted it to have some texture to it but not look exactly like cardboard.  After it dried, I placed it into a thrifted and painted frame.  I suppose this part of the project isn't a total failure.

So there you have it.  I still like those initials enough to photograph them and keep them around.  That counts for something, right?  At least the project was free.






 
 
 
 


Do you have any plans for the weekend?  Ours will consist of continuing to paint the trim and doors white in our master bedroom, installing crown moulding in there, and making beef stew.  We also will be attending Jason's basketball tournament tomorrow morning.  He'll be coaching 7th and 8th grade boys and I'll be sitting in the bleachers with Henry and Oliver, who've already asked for Skittles and Starbursts.  There's nothing like a good sugar high to start off a Saturday morning!

Happy weekend, friends!

2 comments: